Sunday, February 15, 2009

Jasmine Earrings

I already said goodnight, but access to my own laptop is ADDICTING. Etsy is my new favorite place to be, and it leads to so many other sites. Other selling portals, jewelry designers' blogs, jewelry supply shops, you name it. I've been scouring Etsy for small lockets. I should be sleeping.

My little sister Jasmine is somewhat of a vintage fiend. Well, she's almost eighteen and graduating soon, so not so little. Where does the time go?! She loves scoring clothes from thrift shops and our mom, along with our mom's jewelry. We sorted through her jewelry and Jasmine found several things, including a pendant with my mom's name on it and a heart-shaped locket that I had when I was younger. When I see it on her, I think I might just borrow it from her but it has a good home :)

Jasmine's fascination with lockets inspired me to make a new pair of earrings today. (Note: Will post picture soon.) A simple pair of hoops with Swarovski crystals and gemstones floating on a chain with a tiny locket anchoring the bottom. I try to make pieces that I would want to wear, turn the expected into the unexpected. The earrings are asymmetrical, unique, and colorful like my goofy sister. I just decided to name them after her as I type. She is my litmus test for my designs, if her eyes don't light up or she just says they're okay, more often than not, I go back to the drawing board. She is optimistic, creative, she loves to draw, and has her own sense of style. Jasmine may be younger than me, but she has taught me many things, she reminds me every now and then to look at the bright side of things. She is wise beyond her years, I like to think it's a result of living with me. She gives me awesome, hilarious, tear-jerking birthday cards every year and my birthdays don't feel complete without them. I'm going to miss her when she goes to college.

Don't go!

I'm as protective of her as any older sister would be and I want the very, very best for her, no matter what future she chooses for herself.

As with many designs I've made, these were intended as a gift, but now I have to make another pair because I want to keep them for myself.

UPDATE: The lockets are strung onto vermeil hoops with juicy labradorite and mystic black spinel briolettes. Love them and the jingling noises they make.

No comments: