Sunday, February 15, 2009

Like a splinter, only not

A downside of the art of jewelry design are the odds and ends that are part of the process of putting something together by hand. Since I do not have a workbench at this time, I work on the largest surface available to me which is my bed. I always have my jewelry tools and gemstones nearby so that if I feel inspired, I can open my small toolbox, pour out my sparkly "drug of choice" and start to create. As the wire cutters well ... cut, small pieces of wire or headpin sometimes escape my detection and land on my bed or my floor. I try to pick up those pieces but I am not always successful. Apparently, the vacuum doesn't even pick up everything.

Anyway, for what seems like months, I could be in my room, fiddling around and I step in the same spot on my carpet and something will jab my foot. It must be a headpin. I've tried to find that elusive thing, but whenever I try, the pin seems to disappear. I feel around and poke into the pile, and I get ... nothing. ARGH. I try to avoid that spot, yet I forget until that pin reminds me by poking me again.

Finally, last week, I had stepped on it once more after I got out of the shower. Annoyed, I bent down and felt around and actually found it! It was large enough to reuse but I was so relieved at finding it, that I tossed it. Good riddance!

Small, silly victory. You might even wonder is this worth a blog entry? It's like a thick splinter deep in the palm of your hand. You have to remove it.

I'm so happy that I found it that I'm still rejoicing four days later. Yes, it was that much of a pain.

I do have a desk in my room but I don't like it that much. There's no legroom and it's just not my style, it's just ugly to me. I just prefer my bed. From a design standpoint, it's like I don't like to look at it, so I don't want to use it. I'd rather take it out of my room and have a good table instead to work on my jewelry.

This accomplishment of sorts crystallizes two things; that I need a studio and I should get a small craft-type vacuum, can't remember where I saw it at the moment.

By realizing those two things, this could be a bigger triumph than I thought. Good riddance to that pesky headpin and goodnight.

No comments: