Monday, February 9, 2009

OBSTACLES

In my quest to do what I love, I am realizing that I will have to face many things that I tried to avoid more or less, things that I have to work on:

1. I have to be more computer savvy. I can't even upload a picture without getting help from someone; my cousin, my boyfriend, even my little sister. I know the basics but in order to be more independent and survive this technology-driven world, I'd better step up. I can type and shrink a picture but there is still much to learn.

2. Be more outgoing. I am shy by nature. My shyness is almost sporadic, there are some people I've known for a few years now and I still have trouble talking to them. If I want to sell my pieces in stores and at events like Feria Urbana, then I will have to break out of my shell.

3. Be a master of organization. I have been in business for a year now, but there are still things that I need to pull together. I need to organize my receipts and such on Quickbooks, having said that, I have to GET the program. I need to make stock and put my pieces up for sale on Etsy. I have to take some small business courses so I don't crash and burn once my business is finally up and running. I have the talent but I am wondering if I have the business sense. If I want this to be my career, I have to get going. I have to change things. Otherwise, Jenalyn Lorenzo Jewelry will not go too far. That would be a tragedy. I have the image of getting thrown back into a cursed cubicle to motivate me.

4. Get out of my own way. With all these things in mind, I am anxious about finally displaying my pieces on Etsy and in stores. What if no one wants to buy them? What if people just try to copy my ideas? What if I tank? These are all things that I have to consider when I put so much of myself on display. These pieces are my children and I would never make anything I wouldn't wear or wouldn't be proud to sell. I just have to bite the bullet and sell, sell, sell!

I also need to stock up/research the following:

*logo
*earring tags
*packaging - case, gift wrap, bubble wrap, etc
*necklace cards
*shipping costs
*further photography, need more angles and detail shots.
*I'm sure there's more I need to take care of *whew*

I have come a long way in the past nine years since reawakening my love of jewelry. I have seen pieces that I made when I was just a young 22 year old and compare them to the things I have made now and am proud of the progress and the growth I have made, despite all the things that I still need to work on.

Here's to looking up and forward.

No comments: