Tuesday, December 30, 2008

ISSUES ON MY MIND

As a jewelry designer, I will readily admit that I am not organized. A sad, sad fact. Ask my parents, they will attest to this ... ha. ha. I am trying to remedy this. Maybe if I start small, I will be motivated to organize the other things I've been lagging on ... like my receipts from the past year. State taxes are due at the end of January or ELSE. EEP. The joys of having your own business...

I have gone through several versions of jewelry containers over the years. I'm obsessed with small things, small containers, etc. I've had the ever present plastic baggies contained in several makeup bags. This solution has caused me to continuously root through the dark bag for the intended pair of earrings, sometimes I freak out thinking I have lost something when I really haven't. Imagine the unnecessary stress repeated every time I look in my jewelry bag! I am currently using a travel case from The Container Store where I can finally see all my pieces and it only costs $15.

I've been looking for more pretty jewelry storage ideas for my bedroom which would keep them in the open, not in a drawer. Considering the financial situation, the two requirements would be cheap and pretty. I don't want a plastic container with compartments for my earrings, because I like to have my pieces on display to motivate me and they are a representation of the progress I have made as a designer.

I've been searching everywhere for storage, so far I have found the frame with the wire screen, a jewelry frame carved out of wood, a cork board covered with fabric, and the jewelry tree at varying prices.

Today, I went shopping with my boyfriend and at Ichi Ban Kan in Burlingame, a Japanese dollar store. They were $1.50 each so I "splurged" and bought three. Ooooh ... I'm a BIG spender. Maybe this will be the thing to motivate me to organize the rest of my room and finally convert it into a jewelry design studio.

My next goal ... a fantastic workbench. Um, when I can afford it. Stay tuned.

No comments: